Home » BLOG » Ontario judge approves $20.6M settlement in Scotiabank overtime class-action suit

Ontario judge approves $20.6M settlement in Scotiabank overtime class-action suit

Judge Edward Belobaba of the Ontario Superior Court approved a $20.6-million settlement in a class-action suit against Scotiabank. Employees had said they were required to work unpaid overtime by the bank.

TORONTO – After nearly a decade-long legal battle, roughly 1,600 individuals who say they were necessary for Scotiabank to work unpaid overtime will quickly be splitting a $20.Six million settlement.

Judge Edward Belobaba of the Ontario Superior Court approved funds within the class-action lawsuit from the bank Thursday, with written good reasons to follow within the coming weeks.

The suit was originally settled in 2014 and since then, roughly $18.7 million has been distributed among 600 class members. But an additional 1,600 retail branch employees had their claims rejected or reduced.

The ruling is really a victory for all those workers, said David O’Connor, an attorney for the class members.

Related

About privatefinancetips

x

Check Also

U.S. job growth slows and profits tumble as a strong dollar and cheap oil undercut earnings

WASHINGTON – U.S. economic growth slowed within the fourth quarter, although not as sharply as ...

The REIT sector’s next challenge: CEO succession and board renewal

Getting there C with new chief executives and groups of new directors for that firms ...

Commodities could be headed for ‘buffalo jump’ as investors rush for the exits, Barclays warns

Commodities including oil and copper are in chance of steep declines as recent advances aren’t ...